Monday, November 24, 2008

Missing

No sign of the famous artist today... I bopped into the art room today full of anticipation to be greeted not by a supremely talented young artist fast becoming recognised internationally as such (as he rightly should be), but to my dismay the only one to be found there was a cantankerous old gremlin-queen on a P.M.T related hissy fit about Michelangello (ah Mr. O'C, we love you really). I felt dismayed, but was determined to uncover the truth behind the absence of our 'guest speaker'.

I should explain: it was in fact said gremlin-queen (I'm going to stop referring to him as gremlin-queen now because I actually respect him a lot and think he's an amazing teacher... he can just be a bit of a bitch from time to time...) who had announced to us last Friday that on Monday Cian McLoughlin would be 'flying in from London', where he currently has an exhibition, to speak to the class about continuing a career in art. I didn't question the obvious absurdity in this because I figured since Cian Mc Loughlin is a former student of O'C's he was allowed to call in a favour once in a while. But when McLoughlin never showed today, and O'C was subsequently in a supremely 'trollish' humour, I began to smell a rat.

Inquiring as to the whereabouts of the missing artist after a horrifyingly boring art history class on the Cistine Ceiling, O'C snapped that he had been 'delayed', in a tone which suggested perhaps there were underlying causes at play; his manner put me in mind of an embittered ex-lover , perhaps, whose heart had been broken by some insensitive bastard along the way, or of a hurt and confused Ghilberti, teacher of Donatello, who was eventually overtaken by his more talented pupil. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the man (but mostly I just hated him for the shite class we had just had.. but anyway).

Now all I can do is hope that Cian McLoughlin will keep his commitment, if he's not jetting of somewhere else because of his sold-out high-powered money-spinning 'fame art'... Ungrateful little brat... I gave him all I had... And he discarded me like an old oil paintbrush that hadn't been washed properly in white spirits immediately after use... ahem.

No comments: