Friday, February 6, 2009

Unofficial Snow Day


I've taken the day off from school on account of all this snow, though as far as I'm aware we're not officially allowed to... I've just kind of got the idea in my head that this particular form of precipitation exempts me from all obligations. It's the school's fault really; they sent us home from school early yesterday 'because of the snow', though no logical reason could be given, planting the seed in my brain. I took it to mean that all bets we're off, that I could go into hibernation mode until the 'harsh weather' and 'dense snowfall' subsided.

As soon as I got home I knew that I wouldn't be leaving the house for some time. I closed the curtains in the sitting room, so that I could pretend it was a harsh Winter's night, naturally, and prepared myself a stack of choice dvds, set myself up on the couch with a blanket and a packet of mini muffins. I put on the fire. It was all 'luvly juvly'.

About 15 minutes into House of Flying Daggers I was disturbed from a knock at the door, but I had barely enough time to mumble 'go away' before the door opened. It was one of my piano students M. Ah yes, she does have a lesson around now. Hopefully she didn't see the beetroot colour of my face in the darkness. What I do know is that she saw me there curled up in a purple blankey covered in muffin crumbs, half asleep, any sort of mystique she might have ever attached to me was utterly gone.

It just didn't occur to me that the world would continue turning in spite of the rapidly melting half inch or so of snow. And rather than learning from that experience, I'm taking the day off to watch House of Flying Daggers in it's entirety (this time with figrolls because I ate all the muffins), and you know what, maybe I'll venture up to the shop to get new batteries for my alarm clock, I don't know. God Bless Snow Days...

No comments: